Wednesday, November 23, 2011

'Twas the Night Before Thanksgiving

Well, hello there!  Did you think I had disappeared?  Sorry about that.  We took a little trip out of town and then I got
s-i-c-k....SICK!  Like, I didn't get out of bed for two days and have just turned the t.v. and computer on today.  Looks like I may need to have my tonsils removed this summer.....at my age!  YUCK!  Not exactly what I had planned for my break, but at least I didn't have to use any sick days. 

Just popping in for a quick book and a little announcement tonight.  Our book is 'Twas the Night Before Thanksgiving by Dav Pilkey and it is a great one! 

The other books I posted have some historical significance, but this one is just a great read and is FUN!  It is about a class going on a field trip to the farm.  They figure out what is going to happen to "Farmer Mack Nugget's" turkeys and hatch a plan to save them.  Of course, it is patterned after 'Twas the Night Before Christmas and that makes it flow really well and just plain fun to read.  If you do not have this book it would be a super one to add to your collection.  

I also have a few fun links for you, here is the story being read aloud on YouTube.  This is the history of the book from Dav Pilkey's website.  It contains this interesting fact...
     'Twas the Night Before Thanksgiving has become
     one of the most popular Thanksgiving books of all
     time. But believe it or not, this book was rejected
     23 times by 23 different publishers. Dav was so          
discouraged by all the rejections, he almost quit
     writing children's books altogether. Finally, Orchard
     Books accepted the book, though they didn't expect
     it to sell many copies. As it turned out, the book
that nobody wanted to publish ended up surprising
     everyone. 'Twas the Night Before Thanksgiving
has become the third largest selling picturebook in
     Orchard Books' history.

Here are some lessons plans I found on the web (for next year of course).


Now for the big announcement......drum roll please..... MY  FIRST  GIVEAWAY  IS  COMING!!! Check back this weekend for the details.  It's going to be cool and I'm very excited.  


Have a wonderful Thanksgiving and know that I am very thankful for each of you who come and read my ramblings.  :) 

Keep Reading,

1 comment: