Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Pumpkins on Parade

Last weekend I took Thing 1 and Thing 2 to a wonderful evening at our local library.  There were storytellers sharing stories that were a little spooky but not too scary, crafts, snacks and treat bags.  We had a great time!  My favorite part was the "Pumpkins on Parade".  In the foyer, there were all of these cool pumpkins decorated as characters from children's books..... and you know how much I love children's lit!   The characters were fantastic, but I was super impressed by the creativity. I wonder what I would do if I had the chance? 


Thank you library for a really fun (not to mention free) evening.  The kids were so cute in their costumes, the stories were spooky, the crafts were fun and we had a teriffic time! 


I took plenty of pictures of the pumpkins so I could share them with everyone.  Get ready for plenty of pictures.  :)

First up is the Cheshire Cat from Alice in Wonderland
This one is so fun....I love the colors! 

Next is Elephant from I Broke My Trunk.  We love Elephant and Piggie at our house!  Sorry, I couldn't get a great picture. 

 Hank, the Cowboy Dog.....I don't know him very well yet.  I'll have to learn more about him.

 Can you guess this one?  The paint is peeling a little bit, but she is still super cute.  It's Olivia!  There was also a little girl dressed up as the cutest little Olivia!


 It's Pigeon.... He has several books and is one funny bird! Did you know Mo Willems has a new book out?  It's Naked Mole Rat Gets Dressed..... doesn't the title just make you smile?  It's in Scholastic this month.  I can't wait to read it!

Here's a scene from Tom Sawyer.....

and my favorite caterpillar.  Of course, it is The Very Hungry Caterpillar. I love this guy!  Isn't he adorable?


Here's an adorable penguin from Mr. Popper's Penguins. 


The Wicked Witch of the West from The Wizard of Oz. There was a speech bubble attached that said "I'll get you, my pretty, and your little pumpkin, too." 



and finally, The Ghost-Eye Tree.  Doesn't this one look spooky?  It was just like the book cover!

So, which one is your favorite?  Which book or character would you pick if you were decorating the pumpkin?   Does your local library do anything really neat like this? 
Do share....    :) 

   Keep reading,


No comments:

Post a Comment