Monday, November 14, 2011

Catching up and some randomness

This past week has been busy, busy, busy!  We have four people in our little family and three of them (all but me) have had a birthday in the past five days. So, we celebrate "birthday week", and since I must be a special kind of crazy we had two birthday parties yesterday!  One in the morning and one in the afternoon.  More to come on that soon.  One party was based on a great children's book.  :)


I am linking up to this party for cancer awareness over at Cooperative Learning 365.  My mom has cancer.  She is in the middle of chemo right now.  It stinks (and that is the biggest understatement ever).  It seems like cancer touches everyone somehow and I am all about awareness!!! 


I found some really great posts about Veteran's Day.  I know it is past now, but they may give you some ideas for later.  Marvelous Multiagers! has a great post that focuses on women pilots.  She has a couple of books listed that I must check out.  They sound great! The next post has a Veteran's Day freebie!  I know we all love a good freebie.  :)  Sandra's Savvy Teaching Tips has a mini unit that is full of great stuff.  I especially love the poem.  It will definitely go in the file for next year.  Hop on over and take a look.  Be sure to leave them a little love. 
The Parable Series: The Pumpkin Patch Parable

One more thing.... and this is reaching way back.  I had one Halloween book that I wanted to post about but I never got to it.  I at least want to mention it and I may re-visit it next year.  The Pumpkin Patch Parable by Liz Curtis Higgs is a great Christian alternative to the traditional Halloween book.  I have had it for a looooong time and it's one of my favorites.  We used it in Children's Church this year.  When I saw that Jena over at 1st Grade with Miss Snowden had a printable that goes perfectly with this book, I knew I wanted to share it.  She actually has two printables.  The first is a "Pumpkin Prayer" would be great for church, Christian school or homeschooling.  The other is perfect for public school and is a "Pumpkin Pledge" that focuses on building character. Sorry it's so late, but maybe you can file it away for next year.   

Now that I've caught up on my backlog, let's talk Thanksgiving.  I can't believe it's right around the corner!   Time just seems to fly this time of the year. Leave me a comment and let me know your favorite Thanksgiving book.  I don't have much time, but I do want to touch on a few and there are so many to choose from.   :)

Keep reading,

No comments:

Post a Comment